The British wonders Herman’s Hermits Performs at PAC

Photo by: CONTRIBUTED PHOTO
Members of Herman’s Hermits in their prime

On Sept. 14, FMU’s Performing Arts Center (PAC) hosted Herman’s Hermits starring Peter Noone for an evening of music, fun and laughter. 

The audience was taken back to the 60s with the band performing their hits, including “I’m Henry the 8th,” “Mrs. Brown, You’ve Got a Lovely Daughter” and “Listen People.” The group also performed covers of other hit 60s songs such as “Ring of Fire” by Johnny Cash, “All my Loving” by The Beatles and “Daydream Believer” by The Monkees, just to name a few. 

Throughout the concert, lead vocalist Peter Noone interacted with the crowd, engaging them in jokes, sing-a-longs and small conversations. Members of the band also took turns throwing t-shirts and handing out CDs to the crowd.  

People in the crowd appeared to be enjoying themselves, with many people holding up signs, albums and flashlights throughout the shows. Noone even signed a few individuals’ signs and albums throughout the course of the evening. 

The evening ended with Noone signing memorabilia, taking pictures with fans and connecting with audience members outside of the mainstage. 

One of the top 10 bands during the British Invasion movement of the 1960s, Herman’s Hermits has entertained crowds for years. The band has been touring for over 40 years, traveling around the world and playing for numerous sold-out crowds.  

“I enjoy [touring] because it’s the only thing I know how to do,” Peter Noone said. “I’ve been doing it now since I was 15.” 

The band currently plays hundreds of shows each year and has been touring the United States in previous months, stopping in places such as Georgia, New York, Florida and South Carolina. 

As for their first time playing in Florence, Noone expressed having a good show. 

“I’ve been doing it a long time and I know the difference between a good room and a bad room, and this was a good room,” Noone said. 

The show had a lively audience, with people dancing, singing and laughing the whole evening. Audience members consisted mostly of fans of the band who had come to enjoy a blast from the past for one special evening. 

“It was awesome,” Pam Moore, long-time fan and audience member, said. “I’ve loved him since I was young and this was the first time I’ve got to see him in person.” 

The excitement went past Florence, as some fans drove multiple hours just to see the group. 

“I’m from Jamestown, N.C.,” Patty Beck, new fan and audience member, said. “We came up just for this concert. Never been here before, saw him on YouTube and loved it.” 

The evening was considered a success by all parties involved, as it was a night filled with music, laughter and good times all around. 

“Our hope to come out of the concert was for everyone to have a great time, and I would say that is exactly what happened,” Kate Glass, PAC event supervisor, said. 

More information on Herman’s Hermits starring Peter Noone can be found on Noone’s website at https://peternoone.com/. More information about upcoming concerts and performances at the PAC can be found on their website.