Patriots defeat Jaquars

Photo by: Austin Kemmerlin

The Francis Marion University (FMU) Patriots satisfied the Homecoming crowd with 94-86 win over Georgia Regents University (GRU) Augusta on Saturday, February 22, in Peach Belt Conference men’s action.

Graduate student Evrik Gary scored a season-high 34 points to aid in the win against GRU. His point total was one shy of his career high 35 points set at Homecoming in 2013.

Gary connected on 8-of-15 field goal attempts, including a trio of three-pointers, and was 15-of-17 at the foul line. This pushed his career point total to 1,692 which is 22 points under second place on the Patriot career list. Gary also moved into fifth place on the Peach Belt’s career scoring list.

Sophomore center Mykel Harris was a big part of the FMU win by scoring 16 points, while junior Dustin Jones added another 14 points. Harris and Jones combined for 24 points over the last 20 minutes of the game.  FMU junior guard Trevonte Dixon registered nine points, seven rebounds, three assists, and three steals.

GRU player, guard Keshun Sherrill, led with 22 points and five assists. With the help of Guard Ryan Weens registered 14 points and six rebounds, while both Devon Wright-Nelson and KJ Sherrill added 12 points to the GRU overall score of 86 points.

FMU shot a season best 52.1 percent from the floor. They also went 34-39 at the free throw line.

The Patriots trailed only once in the opening stanza at 4-3, although the score was tied on three occasions.

A free throw by senior Robert Carpenter gave FMU the final lead 15-14 9 minutes into the game. However, GRU was not to go quietly. They scored the final seven points of the half to draw within 42-35 at halftime.

The Patriots continued to pull away from GRU, increasing the gap and sealing their Homecoming win. The Jaguars tried to rally and shrink the margin to six (90-84) with 46 seconds left, but two free throws each by junior guard David Brown and Dixon iced the FMU win.