Brian Jones performs in jazz ensemble

Photo by: Morgan Zastawnik
Assistant professor of music industry Brian Jones performs with his jazz ensemble.

Brian Jones, assistant professor of music industry, performed with his jazz ensemble on Sept. 26 in the Black Box Theater at the Performing Arts Center in downtown Florence. 

Playing percussion, Jones was joined by J.C. Kuhl on tenor saxophone, Kevin Hamilton on bass and Alan Parker on electric guitar. Despite not performing together for twenty years, the jazz quartet still performed to an almost full crowd. 

They performed songs both original and iconic. Some of these songs were original tunes written by Jones and other songs were covers of well-known jazz classics by Duke Ellington and Wayne Brown. 

The Black Box was dim, with blue-lit black curtains. The instruments poised in their stand seemed like an art exhibit reflecting the muted lighting of the stage. 

Spanning numerous age groups and ethnicities, the crowd was an eclectic blend that represented of the evolution of Jazz itself. From its origins in the speakeasies of large cities to the backroom bars in rural areas all over America, Jazz has become one of the most popular musical genres all over the country.  

The ensemble took turns playing solos with the others playing backup beats in perfect rhythm. The group moved without breaking between the original tunes. Each musician seemed deeply involved in the music, never breaking rhythm. 

Their performance blended the songs together, seamlessly flowing from one tune to another. The outcome was a smooth performance heavily applauded by all listeners in attendance. The only time the performers ever stopped playing was to introduce the titles of the songs they were covering and to offer some background on the original songwriters and performers. 

Not only is Jones a professor with a talent for jazz percussion, but he is also accomplished in the music industry itself. He has had the honor of performing alongside great musicians like John Abercrombie and Houston Person.  

Jones is also a record producer with over 25 albums under his own label, Slang Sanctuary. His wealth of experience in the music industry made him a valuable addition to FMU’s music industry program faculty in 2022. 

To see what’s being next for the PAC’s slate of performances, one can visit their website online.