Fall field day gets students soaked

FMU’s Campus Activities Board (CAB) hosted a Fall Field Day event on the Smith University Center lawn on Sept. 23.  

The event featured outdoor games, Italian ice, lemonade and music. The intent for the event was to get students out of their dorms and have a good time. 

“The goal for this event is to allow a student to get out of their comfort zone, have fun and release their inner child,” Adrien McClintock, Student Life specialist, said.  

McClintock said that students often stay in their dorms and are typically spending most of their time studying. It is because of this that he says it is necessary for students to take a break and have a way to socialize with other students outside of the classroom. 

“After studying for these long days and stressing over my classes, attending this fall field day allowed me to connect with others and take a few hours to release all my stress with playing games and hanging around with CAB,” Roni McManus, a pre-nursing major, said. “It was truly engaging to be able to not have my classes wondering through my head.”  

As a pre-nursing student, she emphasized that fall field day was a way for her to be able to forget about the stress and responsibilities and just be a child for a few hours again.  

CAB also used the field day as a way to promote physical activity on campus. The outdoor games provided were water fights, tug of war, a bean bag toss and many other games similar to grade school field days. 

Data across the internet finds that a majority of college students are physically inactive. Science has linked a lack of physical activity to a decrease in mental health. This is something CAB is well aware of and is frequently a driving force for the events they host.  

With every event on campus comes another opportunity to get out, socialize and become more active. While studying is important, so is keeping up with one’s physical and mental health.  

CAB, as well as Student Life, encourages students to attend more events around campus. This will not only help them become more familiar with the campus community, but also more enthusiastic when the next events come around.  

For what’s next for CAB, check the FMU website as well as flyers spread across campus. October will hold their FMU’s Got Talent showcases and finish with the annual FM A’Glow and Carn-Evil events.