Lillian White performs chicken show “Birdbrain”

Performance artist Lillian White came to FMU to performer her piece ‘Birdbrain’ Kassab Recital Hall in the Hyman Fine Arts Center on Sept. 21. 

A combination of vignettes, image and dance, the solo performance was a personal piece from White. The performance was based on her time growing up on a farm, her experience with traveling between the United States and Peru and what she truly believes the word ‘birdbrain’ means.  

Although White has performed this piece across multiple states and even in Peru, this was her first time performing in a non-traditional theater as well as her first time performing for a college audience. 

“It was my first time performing in front of college kids,” White said. “I was nervous but excited. I hope to be exposure to all different kinds of shows.” 

Despite her anxieties, the show was well received. While many noted the oddities of the performance, students still found it enjoyable and intriguing.  

“It was strange at first but was actually very cool and heartfelt,” Zhatalia Prioleau, freshman pre-nursing major, said. 

The performance lasted roughly for an hour, and White made use of several different objects throughout to represent the different aspects of the performance. She created a captivating story with her large human-sized chicken statue with a candle heart she dubbed ‘Nene.’ 

Regardless of the props used or how some people may have seen the performance, those in attendance agreed to the emotional impact of the story. 

“Her performance was so moving that I was struggling to not cry by the end,” August Schroeder, an art major, said. 

The performance was not only personal to White, but it also touched on topics many can relate to. Chief among these was animal cruelty, specifically when it comes to chickens. 

White talk about the chicken industry and how historically helpful chickens had been. She mentioned chickens being sent to the moon, being used in war and even being main sources of food during times of war. 

Comparing this history to today’s chicken industry, White talked about how chickens are packed on top of each other to simply consume, reproduce and repeat. The story follows this train of thought as it centers around a girl returning to her family farm during the COVID-19 pandemic and has a realization about the nature and history of the chickens on the farm. 

Ultimately, White’s performance was a compelling an emotional journey through time and spirituality as she comes to understand the relationship between chickens and humanity. 

More information about Lillian White and her art can be found online on her personal website. More information about performances at FMU can be found on the official FMU website.