Prospective students visit FMU’s open house

FMU hosted its first Open House of the 2023-2024 academic year on Sept. 16 in the Honors Center. 

The event gave potential students an opportunity to meet with different department representatives and current students. Students had their choice of which discipline they wanted to learn more about, as each table hosted faculty members from every department FMU offers. 

Xandria Young, senior management information systems major, is an Orientation Leader who worked at the school of business table. Young talked to many students who were interested in learning about the different business majors and tracks that are offered here at FMU.  

“Being a current student, working at the school of business table during an open house is a positive approach to offer potential students an academic perspective,” Young said. “It allows them to interact with someone who can share firsthand experiences and insights, potentially making the academic programs more appealing.”  

Young described the tables as a welcoming platform to introduce incoming students to everything FMU has to offer. Specifically, she emphasized the influence this had over parents. 

“Not only are potential students able to talk to current students, but so are the parents which can be a factor of students choosing a field and school,” Young said. 

After the tabling, Orientation Leaders led the prospective students into the Chapman Auditorium, located in the McNair Science Building, for a welcoming session. 

Ruzzel Canlas, senior healthcare administration major, was another Orientation Leader who worked at the Open House. Canlas said the welcoming session was informative and helpful for perspective students.  

“At the welcoming session, a brief introduction of the University was given, followed by a warmed welcomed from President Carter,” Canlas said. “Subsequently, students and parents were provided with more comprehensive information about the university, including the date of its foundation, the academic programs offered, the faculty and other pertinent details.”  

The Open House ended with a session that delved deeper into financial aid, admissions, scholarships, the Honors Program and other aspects of FMU.  

Canlas also contributed the event’s success to the presence of current students at each department’s table. 

“The Open House was a successful event due to its interactive nature,” Canlas said. “The students expressed their interest in the educational process of the school and were able to make personal contact with professors in their field of interest. Additionally, the students engaged in the tour, gained an understanding of college life, familiarized themselves with the campus and broadened their career prospects to areas of their interests.”  

Tristan Shird, administrative assistant in the Office of Admissions, was pleased with the number of students who came out to the Open House.  

It was a pleasure to witness a substantial number of students showing up and demonstrating their interest in learning more about our institution,” Shird said. “While we would have loved to have an even greater turnout, I am content with the outcome and the seamless execution of the event. The students were inquisitive and seemed genuinely enthusiastic about the prospect of joining Francis Marion University. 

Shird hopes that upcoming Open houses will showcase other aspects of FMU in addition to its focus on academics, such as Greek Life, Student Life and athletics.  

I am looking forward to the upcoming Open Houses and hope to showcase more aspects of student life,” Shird said. “It would be wonderful to have a panel of 

students who could share their experiences at FMU, including being a part of various organizations and discussing their majors in greater detail.”