Student Spotlight: Xandria Young

Senior+management+information+systems+major+Xandria+Young+is+an+active+and+accomplished+student+on+campus.+
Photo by: Ainara Eizaguirre Irastorza
Senior management information systems major Xandria Young is an active and accomplished student on campus.

Xandria Young, senior management information systems major, has more on her mind than just graduating in December. Young is an active member of the FMU community, as she is involved with five different organizations on campus. 

Young is a part of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and the Diplomats. She is also an Orientation Leader, a Residential Assistant (RA) and a Patriot Mentor. 

With graduation soon approaching, Young has her hands full between fulfilling her duties in the organizations she is a part of as well as keeping good grades during her final semester in college.  

“Some organizations require a little more than others, so the biggest thing I had to learn was time management and prioritizing,” Young said. “School always comes first, so if I know I have an event or program to attend, then I make sure to have all my assignments done prior to the day of the event. In terms of working, things can get a little challenging but having an employer who works with your schedule and respects you being in college helps tremendously.” 

Being heavily involved on campus has helped Young develop skills that have made her who she is today and helped prepare her for a career after college. 

“With being an orientation leader, diplomat and patriot mentor, I have been able to improve my teamwork and team leadership skills,” Young said. “All of these organizations have contributed to shaping me into the individual I am today. I have drastically improved my public speaking, being able to code switch between professional and personal and also learning my own boundaries.” 

Young also attributes her development of career-related skills to her working an on-campus job. 

“Working on campus, I get the opportunity to develop and improve my soft skills,” Young said. “Most jobs on campus are in some type of office, which not only gives me the privilege of seeing how offices operate but also allows me the chance to get a feel for what I could be going into after college.” 

Speaking of what inspires her, Young considers her father as her biggest inspiration. 

“My role model is my dad,” Young said. “He is the strongest and most hardworking individual I have ever met. My dad constantly displays initiative when it comes to his goals and aspirations. He continuously proves that he is capable of overcoming any obstacle, no matter how big or small. I aspire to be just half the person he has become.” 

Young has seen the NAACP grow since she first joined. During her time with the NAACP, they have hosted and attended various different events on and off campus.  

“Ever since I’ve been a member, the NAACP helps out at the Pecan festival in Florence,” Young said. “This year, there have been a lot of new events and programs. The NAACP hosted a March in honor of MLK, and they collaborated with the Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc. for “Braids for Barks.” The event consisted of collecting clothes to donate to the Salvation Army. Anything that couldn’t be donated was cut into strips and braided into toys for dogs.” 

Young encourages new students to get out of their comfort zones and become involved on campus.  

“Dare to be different,” Young said. “As an incoming student, you probably won’t know many people so go out and meet people. Join organizations that genuinely interest you, and don’t be afraid to ask for help when you’re in need.”