NPC hosts Ice cream social

The National Panhellenic Conference (NPC) will host an Ice Cream Social on Wednesday, Aug. 31. The event is geared towards full-time, female students who are interested in joining a Panhellenic sorority.

The Ice Cream Social will be held in the Heyward Community Center from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. There is no cost for attendance.

The Ice Cream Social gives potential members time to intermingle with current members of the three sororities in the NPC. These include Alpha Delta Pi, Kappa Delta, and Zeta Tau Alpha This is also an opportunity for the ladies to ask questions as well as learn about the Formal Sorority Recruitment events.

The NPC is the governing body for Francis Marion University’s three Panhellenic sororities. Of the three, Zeta Tau Alpha was the earliest to found a chapter at FMU in 1974, followed by Alpha Delta Pi in 1980 and Kappa Delta in 1985.

The Ice Cream Social is somewhat of a tradition for the NPC. It has been hosted for at least the past five years as one of the initial events of the year; however, the Council makes a decision each year on the events to host, and therefore events are subject to change for the years to come.

Associate Dean of Students Cheri Richardson, the adviser for the NPC, offered some advice for those interested the sororities.

“The best advice I can offer anyone interested in joining a Panhellenic chapter is to get to know all three chapters and its members,” Richardson said. “You will learn more about their history, philanthropy…and then make an informed decision on the chapters and your preference.”

Any woman who is a full-time student at FMU is eligible to be a member in a Panhellenic sorority. She must also have and maintain an overall 2.5 GPA.

The Formal Sorority Recruitment events will be held on Friday, Sept. 9 through Sunday, Sept. 11. Bid Day will be the last event.

Prior to the Formal Sorority Recruitment events, each potential member must register online and pay a $20 registration fee with the Student Affairs office in UC 205.

More information about the Formal Sorority Recruitment is available on the FMU website under “Student Affairs.”