Cyclists plan return to FMU for Bike MS: Breakaway to the Beach

Over 1,200 cyclists across the Carolinas are preparing for the 26th annual Bike MS: Breakaway to the Beach charity ride and will peddle their way to FMU on Sept. 24.

Vice President of Public and Community Affairs Darryl Bridges said that he is glad Bike MS will return to the FMU campus.

“FMU is pleased for the MS Society to choose our campus as the mid-point for the Bike MS Event,” Bridges said. “Not only does the event raise money for a worthy cause, it also brings more than 1,500 people to campus, allowing them to experience the beauty we see on a daily basis.”

Development Manager of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society Katie Isley said that cyclists are excited about returning to FMU.

“We are excited about returning to Francis Marion and cyclists are looking forward to returning and enjoying the beautiful campus and scenery,” Isley said.

The two-day cycle event is sponsored by the Mid-Atlantic Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. Cyclists will begin their travels from across the Carolinas, traveling between 50 to 200 miles over the course of two days.

Breakaway to the Beach is the only cycling event in the southeastern region that allows riders to travel a double century or 200 miles in a single cyclist charity ride. The event will conclude in Sunset Beach, NC on Sept. 25.

“Breakaway to the Beach is very important,” Isley said. “It is the highest fundraising event the Mid-Atlantic Chapter holds annually. It is also a great event for the cycling community and helps us spread awareness about multiple sclerosis throughout our chapter area.”

Registration for the charity ride is open until Sept. 24. The registration fee is $55 plus an additional $300 minimum fundraising fee. Anyone who is not able to participate in the ride and would like to help with fundraising can register to become a virtual cyclist on their website.

Cyclists will be welcomed by cheering crowds as they cross the finish line at FMU. A dining tent and various team tents will be set up on the UC lawn along with musical entertainment. T-shirts and prizes will also be given. Awards for the top fundraisers will be announced in the fall.

Proceeds from this event will go towards various programs, services and research for better treatments and to help find a cure for MS.

Any organizations, students or faculty interested in volunteering may contact Vice President of Volunteers Tabitha Engle at 1-800-344-4867. For additional information about registration, contact Katie Isley at 704-525-5906.