Halloween masquerade attracts over 400 guests

Photo by: ????????????

In order to spread Halloween spirit across Francis Marion University campus, the University Programming Board (UPB) and FMU Diplomats hosted Carnevil 2: Revenge of the Masquerade on Oct. 27 in the University Center.

This year’s event drew a crowd of nearly 500 people, topping last year’s crowd of just over 400.

For many, Carnevil was utilized as a time to mingle with other students around campus, which was the case with Carley Peplowski, a freshman majoring in nursing.

“It was a great time just getting to hang out and see everyone dressed up in all different costumes,” Peplowski said.

Logan Fisher, a sophomore majoring in business, said that he thought the Halloween mood was alive among the students in attendance at the event.

“The emotions in the air were electric,” Fisher said. “I had a great time.”

Costumes were not required; however, there was a costume contest for those who dressed up. Winners received gift cards to different places in the Florence area.

Some of the costumes that attendees donned included a bag of Jelly Bellys, lumberjacks and fairies.

English major Sarah Meadows said she had a good time at the event, even though she chose not to dress up.

“I love the festivity that always comes whenever the campus comes together to have fun,” Meadows said. “Halloween is one of my favorite times of year, so I loved celebrating.”

Other students, while enjoying themselves, felt the event was bittersweet. Senior visual communications major Katherine Barnette was among those students.

“I’m glad to see the UPB and Diplomats bring Carnevil back again this year,” Barnette said. “I was not disappointed and thoroughly enjoyed myself. As a graduating senior, I’m sad it’s my last time.”

The UPB and FMU Diplomats said that they hope to make this an annual event and plan on holding it again next year.