Performer Michael Cooper to visit Performing Arts Center

Since the grand opening of Francis Marion University’s Performing Arts Center in September, several artists have taken the stage. On Nov. 12, Michael Cooper’s solo show “Masked Marvels and Wondertales” will add to this growing list of performances.

Michael Cooper’s website www.themaskedmarvels.com refers to Cooper as a “Poet of the Stage.” Cooper is also said to be a “visual artist and virtuoso mime.” Cooper’s website showcases several comments referencing Cooper and the “Masked Marvels and Wondertales” show from individuals across the world. Namely, Gail McNair of the University of Nebraska said “…a huge success and consummate professional entertainer.”

The show “Masked Marvels and Wondertales” features his handcrafted masks in combination with elements such as stilt dancing and storytelling to create “moving sculpture.” Cooper’s website also notes the goal of his performance is to show how “miraculous” “everyday occurrences such as a baby crawling or a horse breaking into gallop” really are. The masks are products of Cooper’s inspiration drawn from different events and elements in his life, like the birth of his first child.

Cooper’s one-man show has been performed all over the world. “Masked Marvels and Wondertales” will be performed in the Performing Arts Center’s black box theater. Admission to the show requires a ticket. Adult tickets are $15, and student tickets are $5. The show begins promptly at 2 p.m.

More information concerning the show is available at www.fmupac.org.