Sorority collects handbags: Kappa Delta takes donations for Pee Dee Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Assault

Various handbags donated by students could be seen on Founders Hall lawn last Monday, Nov. 21 for a fundraiser event sponsored by Kappa Delta sorority to donate to women through the Pee Dee Coalition.

Throughout the day, students were encouraged to drop off any gently used handbags to the FH lawn from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. These handbags were donated to the Pee Dee Coalition during the holiday season as a part of the “Go Confidently!” Collection to help women in straining situations feel more confident.

“Kappa Delta members around the United States are holding these drives during the fall semester in order to provide confidence for women in need,” said Patricia Helzer, a member of Kappa Delta,  “We felt very strongly about helping women in need and took on this project whole-heartedly.”

Kappa Delta is a national sorority that encourages personal confidence, good academics and community service.  Francis Marion University’s chapter partners with the Pee Dee Coalition, which is a non-profit organization that fights against domestic and sexual assault.

They also partner nation-ally with the Confidence Coalition, which is an organization founded by Kappa Delta that works with companies such as Dove, Care and Vera Bradley to encourage women to have more confidence in themselves.

“We just want everyone to feel confident in who they are, and these events are a great ways to do that, even for just a second of the day,” said Helzer.

During last year’s homecoming game, the sorority handed out balloons with messages written on them such as “You are beautiful” or “You have a gorgeous smile” to encourage more confidence and self-esteem in students.

Kappa Delta is also holding an annual golf tournament at Traces Golf Course for the Pee Dee Coalition on March 24 of next year at 1 p.m. Anyone is invited to get a team together to play and help raise money.

According to Morgan Yarborough, who is also a member of Kappa Delta, the sorority collected a total of 63 handbags to donate this year.

In addition to the golf tournament in March, the ladies said that they look forward to holding a “Strike Out Child Abuse” event also in March with FMU’s baseball team.

For more information on the Pee Dee Coalition, the Confidence Coalition, Kappa Delta sorority or signing up for the annual golf tournament next year, students are encouraged to contact the Kappa Delta sorority.