Snow island review seeks new editor

Snow Island Review, Francis Marion University’s literary and arts journal, is accepting applications for a new editor for the 2012-2013 academic year, as well as submissions. This spring will mark the journal’s twenty-first anniversary.

The requirements for candidates include creative work and the organization skills to manage the journal. The editor is required to manage the submission and review process, plan and organize the biannual public readings and handle a variety of other editorial business.

Applicants must have completed at least 30 credit-hours and submit a letter of interest. Applications must be submitted to Jon Tuttle in FH 146 by Tuesday, Jan. 31.

Staci Poston, the current editor of SIR, will train the new editor herself.

“After the new editor is selected, I’m going to begin training him or her as soon as possible to take over when I graduate in May. It’s busy work…. It’s also rewarding,” Poston said.

Students can also submit all kinds of visual and written creative works. These include, poetry, fiction, non- fiction, critical essays, short plays, drawings, cartoons and photographs.  The deadline for submissions is Friday, March 9.

“I’m extremely excited about the publication of the finished product in April,” Poston said. “It provides a medium for FMU students to get creative work of all types published.”

It is recommended that students read the submission guidelines prior to submitting work. The guidelines will be posted on the SIR bulletin board beside the Writing Center on the first floor of Founders Hall.

Students can email the journal about publication or other SIR opportunities at FMUSnowIslandReview@ gmail.com for more information.