Sorority, fraternity host fashion show to raise funds for cancer patients

Photo by: ??????

Music filled Chapman Auditorium Thursday, April 12 at 7 p.m. as students gathered to support Francis Marion’s chapters of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority and Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity at the 2012 Fashion Show.

All the money raised at the event was donated to Relay for Life, a charity that supports the American Cancer Society by helping patients in need.

Alpha Kappa Alpha member Brittany Gilchrist acted as the event’s DJ, with help from her co-host, a Kappa Alpha Psi member.  After first acknowledging  the other present NPHC sororities and fraternities, they continued to excite the crowd as the night unfolded.

Fashion styles were divided into different categories, including school wear, 1980s throwback outfits, business attire and beach wear.  Over 20 models participated in the show.  Participants not only modeled their fashions, but also entertained and danced on stage. With each fashion showcase, the audience’s cheers grew louder and louder.

Senior and President of Alpha Kappa Alpha, Alanna McLellan, said the sorority was originally going to host a pageant as in previous years, but Kappa Alpha Psi agreed to host a joint fashion show.

In addition to the wide variety of fashion, the night was also filled with different talents, including a member of a local group, Popular By Demand and a poetry reading about love by “Mr. Emotional.”