Nursing Program accepting master’s program applications

FMU Department of Nursing to begin accepting applications for new MSN programs

The FMU Department of Nursing is accepting applications for two new master’s degree programs: Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) or Nurse Educator.

According to an FMU press release, the program, set to begin in Jan. 2013, aims to “address the needs for quality and affordable healthcare and promote quality nursing education.”

In order to apply for the program, the subsequent items must be submitted by applicants: a graduate application for admission and non-refundable application fee, official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work, Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores within the last five years, two letters of recommendation from professional associates or former professors, a written statement of career goals with a 300-500 word length, an up to date nursing license to practice South Carolina or other National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCBSN), satisfactory criminal background check and drug screen, health history and CPR certification from the American Heart Association (AHA).

Dr. Ruth Whittman-Price, chair of the FMU Department of Nursing, explained how graduates of the program will serve their communities.

“When students graduate from the FNP track, they will be equipped to diagnose and treat patients for common acute illnesses as well as chronic conditions,” Whittman-Price said. “Our nurse educators will be able to use pedagogical knowledge to educate nurses or future nurses in the clinical and academic areas.”

Dr. Deborah Hopla, director of the MSN/FNP program, is excited about how the programs will affect the community at large.

“We are excited about what this will mean for health care, and we anticipate a positive response to the needs of this community.”

The deadline for submitting applications is Monday, Oct. 15. To apply or learn more about the program, visit www.fmarion.edu or call (843) 661-1226.