Contest held for best fiction writing in SC

This year the South Carolina Academy of Authors (SCAA) will hold its 2nd annual Fiction Fellowship (FF). The winner of the fellowship will be awarded $1,000.

The SCAA was founded at Anderson College in 1986. Their main priority is to locate and award South Carolina’s rising authors. SCAA wants to find individuals that will play an influential part on our southern culture by carrying on a legacy that South Carolina writers have portrayed throughout its history of literature.

Last year, the SCAA started an annual scholarship fund for fictional writing. The fiction fellowship will award the winner of the contest $1,000 for their work. Any one can submit; being an established author or a published writer is not required.

Professor of English Dr. Jon Tuttle said the SCAA FF would rather have unpublished authors submit.

To be eligible to submit the author must be a full-time South Carolina resident and may only submit one piece. It may be a short story or an excerpt of a novel. There is a fee of $15 to submit. The piece submitted cannot be previously published in any form. There are no restrictions on content for the submissions.

This year Mary Robison will be the judge. She is an award winning author; in 1977 she was published in “The New Yorker for her story “Sisters”. According to the press release Robison’s stories have appeared in “The Paris Review,” “Esquire,” andGQ”. Every year SCAA FF picks their judges from other state, thus diminishing the chances that the author and judge could have a relationship.

Submissions are due on Dec. 1, 2012. If chosen and awarded the FF award, the author will be publicly recognized at the hall of fame induction ceremony. The SCAA induction ceremony will be held April 2013 in Columbia, SC.

For further information about submitting a work, students should give their work to Tuttle, along with the application fee.