Tutors attend retreat at USC

Five FMU Writing Center (WC) undergraduate student-tutors attended the South Carolina Tutor Retreat held at the University of South Carolina on Saturday, Sept. 29, 2012.

Senior Ashley Humphries and juniors Jennifer Coker, Tiara Felder, Elizabeth Legendre and Brooke Rogers were the tutors that went on the retreat.

Junior English-liberal arts major Brooke Rogers explained that the retreat was an opportunity for tutors from all over the state to gather together and learn about tutoring strategies that are used at other writing centers.

“I learned a great deal about difficult tutoring situations and how to get through those,” Rogers said. “It was great to be able to talk to other tutors who have encountered similar situations and learn what they did to make sure the student still had a great session.”

The South Carolina Tutor Retreat featured a presentation from FMU graduate and former WC tutor Amy McAllister-Skinner.  McAllister-Skinner is the 2012-2013 South Carolina Teacher of the Year. Rogers said she enjoyed McAllister-Skinner’s presentation.

“[McAllister-Skinner] was a former FMU Writing Center tutor,” Rogers said. “It was great to see how successful she is after leaving the Writing Center.”