Alumni works featured at art show

The Department of Fine Arts has filled the gallery in the Hyman Fine Arts Center with artwork from FMU graduates for the 2012 Alumni Invitational Art Show.

This year’s show is a collection of 35 pieces from 15 FMU graduates that have graduated within the past 17 years. The most recent graduates featured in this year’s show graduated this past May.

The Department of Fine Arts puts on an alumni art show every five to seven years. Any alumni who studied art at FMU are invited to display their post-graduate work in the show.

The show features paintings, drawings, ceramics, photographs and graphic design pieces. Each of the four disciplines of art, art education, theatre arts, visual arts and music is represented in the show.

Some of the featured alumni include jewelry designer Raschedda Hannah, who graduated in 2005, and photographer Amber McKenzie, who graduated in 2008.

The show opened on Tuesday, Oct. 2nd, and closed on Friday, Nov. 8th. On the last day, the Department of Fine Arts hosted a closing reception in the gallery from 5-7 p.m. to celebrate the work of the graduates.

Many of the artists that have their work featured in this year’s show were in attendance. All alumni, current students and staff were welcomed at the reception.

Following the reception, there was a recital at 7:30 p.m. in the Adele Kassab Recital Hall in FAC.

According to Douglas Gray, a visual arts professor and showcase organizer, there are a number of reasons why the Department of Fine Arts puts on the art show.

Gray explained that showcasing the work of alumni encourages students currently studying art at FMU.

“We hope that it’s helpful to current FMU students and it shows them that they can continue producing art even after they graduate,” Gray said.

Gray further explained that the Department of Fine Arts also uses this time to speak with the graduates about their experiences at FMU and their post-graduate careers.

“It was good to put the show together because I got to touch base with all of the alumni and hear about what they have been doing since they graduated,” Gray said.

Gray expressed his satisfaction with the quantity and quality of the pieces that he received from the alumni this year.

“We seem to have a nice variety, and I think there is something for everyone,” Gray said.