Dance Marathon to fundraise for children of local hospital

Students will be able to participate in a fundraiser benefiting the children of McLeod Hospital when the FMU Dance Marathon Team hosts a charity dance event on Thursday, Jan. 25th and Friday, Jan. 26th in the University Commons.

The marathon will be held from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. each day.  The team’s goal is to raise $10,000.  However, FMU President Fred Carter has already contributed $2,500 to the cause.

Dance Marathon Director Abigail Roper expressed why she feels the event is important and explained the mission of the organization.

“We’re making a difference in these kids’ lives,” Roper said.  “They are fighting illnesses every day. We stand and dance for those who can’t.”

In order to participate in the event, students must sign up on the team’s donor drive webpage, which can be accessed from the university’s website, and pay an entry fee of $10.  The fee will go towards the cause and participants will receive a t-shirt for their contribution.

Several committees have been responsible for the production of the marathon. To publicize the event, Campus Relations has requested the participation of other university organizations.  Family Relations, a division of FMU’s Public and Community Affairs Office, has worked to establish a relationship between the patient’s families and the university.  The Department of Fundraising has made efforts to increase donations by encouraging community involvement in the project.

Dance Marathon Co-director André Culbreath, a senior majoring in biology and political science, explained the significance of the fundraiser and expressed why he feels it is important that students become involved.

[This fundraiser] shows the community that FMU students are united and aware of the issues that the Florence Pee Dee areas face,” Culbreath said.

In addition to the dance marathon, the team will also raise funds for the cause by selling items at the Florence Flea Market on Thursday, Nov. 8th.

For more information, visit the team’s office in UC 205 or view their website at helpmakemiracles.org/event/fmudances.