Cody Simpson to serve as Governor of SCSL

Student Body President Cody Simpson has become the first FMU student to serve as governor of the South Carolina Student Legislature (SCSL) in 33 years.

Simpson, who took office on Jan. 1, 2013, explained why the election is an important moment in his life as well as the lives of all FMU students.

“[My election] reassures that the students of Francis Marion mean something to the state of South Carolina,” Simpson said.  “We all have a purpose and a role to play in the state.”

Simpson had been a member of the SCSL, an organization dedicated to making and enacting laws in South Carolina colleges and universities, since 2011 before he was elected governor on Nov. 4, 2012.

FMU President Fred Carter said that he spoke with Simpson about his decision to run for SCSL governor and feels that he will perform well in the position.

“Cody came to me about 16 months ago and asked me for advice and support on his decision to reinstate Francis Marion’s representation on the state level,” Carter said.  “I am proud of Cody; he is a driven and determined young man.”

Simpson discussed his governing plans and said he feels that his experience as chairman of the FMU Delegation, secretary of state, and acting state treasurer in the SCSL has given him the necessary experience to serve as governor.

According to Simpson, his first act as governor will be to change the way that SCSL members meet for sessions.  In the past, an online site served as a virtual conference room, but Simpson wants to return to traditional face-to-face communication.

“We’re going back to the old way and that is meeting in a central location and all of us sitting down and getting to know one another, and I think that will bridge our student legislature back together,” Simpson said.

Simpson said that he also plans to speak with state officials about the needs and progress of South Carolina students.

“I think over time elected officials do try their best, but there are so many pressing issues that [students] fall from the wayside,” Simpson said.  “I believe we need to come back as united colleges and universities and voice our stance.”

As governor, Simpson said that he is dedicated to the betterment of university life and wants to help provide students with a quality education.

“I want what’s best for the students and what’s best for the higher education of learning,” Simpson said.  “The students believed in me, in this university, and I would not be where I am now if it weren’t for them.”