FMU celebrates black heritage month

The FMU African-American Faculty and Staff Coalition and Office of Multicultural Affairs will celebrate black history and culture at the annual Black Heritage Month Program on Monday, Feb. 4th in the Chapman Auditorium.

Assistant Dean of Students Dr. Daphne Carter-McCants explained the purpose of the program and how it benefits the campus community.

“The program provides an out-of-the classroom experience for faculty, staff and students to learn more about the history and culture of African-Americans,” Carter-McCants said.  “It also provides an avenue for cultural harmony on campus and gives the African-American community a sense of pride.”

Motivational Speaker Chakisse Newton will present the keynote address for the event.  Newton, a South Carolina social activist, will deliver the speech “Butterfly Moments.”  According to Carter-McCants, the goal of the speech is to enlighten students on ways in which they can succeed and motivate others to strive for success.

FMU choirs Young, Gifted and Blessed and Praise in Motion will provide musical entertainment for the ceremony.

About 48 percent of FMU’s student population is African-American or of African-American descent.  Because many of the university’s students are from the black community, Carter-McCants believes it is important that the culture continues to be celebrated and said the program impacts her personally.

“The Black Heritage Program provides for me an opportunity for growth,” she said. “Even though I am a member of the African-American community, I do not proclaim to know every aspect of history and culture relating to this heritage.  I enjoy learning something new each year.”

Students and faculty are encouraged to invite family and friends.  All events are open to the public.  The program will also be recorded and aired on FMU Access Station on Channel 11.  For more information contact Dr. Carter-McCants by phone at 661-1188 or by e-mail at rcater@fmarion.edu.