Spring Break trip to discover NYC media

For the first time, five to six mass communication students will spend their spring break touring and experiencing New York City’s media outlets.

To participate in the trip, formally called the 2013 Media Discovery Trip to New York City, students must turn in an application with a letter describing their interest in participating and how the tour will benefit their career goals. Associate Professor of Mass Communication Maria Lundberg, who will oversee the trip, said she is excited to experience NYC with the selected students.

“I’m looking forward to sharing this exciting opportunity with mass communication majors who are motivated and very excited about the trip,” Lundberg said. “For many of them, it will be their first visit to the Big Apple.  And I feel honored to be able to share the experience with them.”

A QEP grant will be covering most of the trip’s expenses, which include the train ticket, hotel room, subway card and media admissions. Lundberg said that each student should expect to pay a minimum of 250 dollars for meals that will not be covered by the QEP grant.

The group will tour the Paley Center for Media Arts and the Museum of the Moving Image. They will also attend at least one live broadcast of a major television program such as The View, the Today Show, and Late Night with David Letterman or The Talk. They will also visit and tour one or more network news organizations like the NBC Studio Tour.

Lundberg explained the significance of the trip.

A trip like this can be life-changing for students who wish to pursue a career in journalism and mass communication,” Lundberg said.  “It’s an opportunity to examine media history through visits to media museums and television video archives.”

Lundberg applied for a QEP grant in mid November. In December, she learned the proposal was approved. Lundberg said this trip was a way to see knowledge put into practice.

“I’m very pleased that the committee acknowledged that this trip will be a valuable experience for our majors who are pursuing careers in mass communication and journalism,” Lundberg said.

Lundberg said she hopes the trip will continue for the years ahead for all mass communication majors to experience.