Playwright to visit campus

Veteran and playwright Amlin Gray, who served in the Vietnam War, will read his play, “How I Got That Story,” on Wednesday, Feb. 20 at 7:30 p.m. in the Kassab Recital Hall of the Hyman Fine Arts Center.

Gray is a friend of Dr. Jon Tuttle, Professor of English and Director of the Honors Program. Tuttle said that he invited Gray to Francis Marion to speak with his students about the effects of war and to put on a production of his play, which is about the struggles reporters have encountered during wartime.

Tuttle decided to do a stage reading of Gray’s play rather than a full theatrical production because, as he suggests, the audience remains in control of their own perceptions of the story if participants read from the script and refrain from using additional props and costumes.

“It’s the kind of play that so much of it relies on your imagination,” Tuttle said. “Even with a stage reading, the play will get full justice.”

Tuttle picked three students to participate in Gray’s production: Senior theatre major C.J. Miller, sophomore theatre arts-design major Xavier Nettles and senior psychology major Carissa Fazio.  Tuttle said he picked them because they are very strong readers who will interpret the play the way it is intended.

Tuttle stressed that we should acknowledge the significance of the Vietnam War and take heed to those who have fought for our country.  He also said he believes the lessons learned during Vietnam do not go away.

The reading is free and open to the public; however, due to its language, the play may not be suitable for all audiences.