Marra awarded crown

Marra is a junior double-majoring in English and political science with a minor in history. After graduation, she plans to take a year off from school and do an internship, which she hopes will help her prepare for law school. She is president of Kappa Delta sorority, Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA), vice president of Sigma Tau Delta and isa student marshall. She is also a graduate of Leadership FMU, a member of the Model United Nations, Phi Kappa Phi and Omicron Delta Kappa. She is a faithful member of the FMU’s Women’s Soccer Team and has been for three years.Marra devotes most of her time volunteering for the Mcleod’s annual Chef and Dinner, Kappa Delta’s annual Shamrock Project (golf tournament), Girl Scouts of the USA, Timrod Elementary School’s annual Halloween Carnival, Science South, FMU’s Center for the Child, Relay For Life, and Olive Branch Soup Kitchen among other projects. She is an elite academic student, securing a grade point average of 3.8 and has maintained President’s List consecutively.

As Miss FMU, Marra will represent the university at a variety of events, including Open House, Freshman Orientation and Outreach events in local high schools.

Quinterra Middleton, a senior from Charleston who is majoring in psychology with a minor in business, was named first runner up. She assists with the international Festival, is a member of the Honor Student Association, Gamma Sigma Sigma Service Sorority, Psi Chi Psychology Honor Sorority, Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society and is a resident assistant. She enjoys volunteering with the Pee Dee Heart Walk, Relay for Life, YMCA, Boys and Girls Club, Manna House, and at C.C Blaney Elementary School.

Rachel Rushingof Florence was Second Runner Up. She is a senior majoring in early childhood education with a minor psychology. Rushing is the president of Alpha Delta Pi, secretary of the FMU Diplomats, Honors Student Association and served as Head Orientation Leader. She volunteers her time with Ronald McDonald House, the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Walk and Christmas for Christ. She also teaches children’s church at Calvary Baptist Church.

In addition to be crowned Miss FMU this year, Kristina Marra was also named Miss Congeniality. Marra is stoked about this major honor and she offered her thoughts about what it means to be Miss FMU.

“The title is so much more than the crown,” Marra said. “Ms. FMU will give me the ability to connect with a vast majority of Francis Marion students…Integrating with all of the students, staff and faculty really shows how tightly knit the campus really is, and it is an honor to represent the Patriot community in this way.”

The Miss FMU Pageant began in 1971 and is held each year. To be involved in next year’s pageant, pick up an application next spring in the Office of Student Affairs located in the Smith University Center, suite 205.