Hundreds attend annual Halloween party

More than 500 students entered the asylum when they attended the fourth annual CarnEvil
party on Halloween night.
Sponsored by the Francis Marion University (FMU) Diplomats and the University
Programming Board (UPB), CarnEvil took place Thursday, Oct. 31 in the Smith University
Center (UC) from 7-10 p.m.
“FMU Horror Story: Asylum” was the theme for this year’s CarnEvil, and it was inspired by
the television series “American Horror Story” and “The Walking Dead.”
Patricia Helzer, senior biology major and president of the Diplomats, said she was pleased
with the event’s turnout and the participating organizations work to ensure that each CarnEvil
theme is unique from the previous.
“With each CarnEvil, we get to see a different group of Diplomat’s view of Halloween,”
Helzer said.  “This year, we got to see the more intense, scary side of Halloween.  I believe that
Alexis Stokes [sophomore, public relations executive for the Diplomats], the Diplomats and UPB
did a fabulous job as always.”
The haunted house and the costume contest were made available to students once again.
However, the haunted house, which was located at the back of the UC lobby, was revamped from
last year’s version.
Winners for the costume contest were divided into four categories.  Gru from the animated
film “Despicable Me” was chosen as the best costume among the females.
The Iron Patriot from
the film “Iron Man 3” won for best male costume.  Dr. Seuss characters Thing 1 and Thing 2
were selected for best couple costume, and a werewolf costume was chosen as the scariest.
The winners were given Subway gift cards for $10.
The cookie decorating table, the newest activity that had been scheduled for the event, was
replaced with corndogs and funnel cake fries.
DJ Fisher Matthews, WJMX-FM 103X disk jockey and FMU alumnus, served as the musical
entertainment for the second consecutive year.
“My favorite thing about [playing for] the event is everyone just having fun, dancing,
dressing up and having a good time,” Matthews said.  “For a few hours, the students get to put
school work and worries aside and just party.”
Alexandria Murray, freshman pre-nursing major, attended the event and said she enjoyed the
music, food and atmosphere.
“It fit the Halloween theme well, and it was interesting,” Murray said.  “All my friends were
there, and we danced until we couldn’t dance anymore.”
   Amber Dantzler, junior psychology major, was also in attendance.  Dantzler shared
Murray’s views but said what she most enjoyed were the costumes.  However, Dantzler added,
she would have liked the haunted house to remained open longer.
“It was nice to see people all dressed up in their Halloween attire and to see who won the
costume contest,” Dantzler said.  “I just hate that the haunted house closed early.”
Helzer said the continued success of CarnEvil and students’ response to event has ensured
that it will continue for a fifth year.