Kappa Delta dishes out chili social

Francis Marion University’s (FMU) Kappa Delta (KD) sorority hosted a chili bar to reach out to young women on campus and teach them about Greek life and the KD morals Wednesday, Jan. 15.

As vice president of membership, Paige Ansley is in charge of helping girls learn about the sorority.  Ansley said KD has events such as the chili bar to increase awareness about the sorority and to encourage more young ladies to join.

KD’s platform is to enhance confidence, community service and friendship.  Ansley explained that these traits are what draw girls to the sorority.

“We are a sisterhood. Our platform is confidence and sisterhood,”Ansley said.

Ansley said she became a member of KD because she knew what it was like not to have a great group of girlfriends, and she loved that the sorority helps those who are in abusive situations. She said she is empathetic to this mission because she had a long family history of abuse and wanted to help others in that situation.

According to Ansley, KD is quite philanthropic. The sorority has helped with local Girl Scouts, Prevent Child Abuse America and the Durant Children’s Center.

Megan Simmons, junior business major, said KD’s sisterhood, along with its community service, is what attracted her.  Simmons said she believes that with sisterhood, there comes a strong bond that lasts forever.

Sisterhood Chairman Meilis White, sophomore education major, was invited by a friend to check out KD when she was a freshman.  White also said the community service and friendship drew her to the sorority.

“How they[Kappa Delta] got me was how they worked with the community and built confidence in each other and other girls outside of the sorority,” White said.

White also said many of the women in her family were in other sororities such as Delta Sigma Theta and Kappa Alpha, and she wanted to be different from her family and chose to pledge another organization.

Yanni Pagayon, sophomore pre-nursing major, shared White’s views. Pagayon said she joined KD because of the core values within the sorority and their work with the Girl Scouts, which she was a member of while living in her native home in the Philippines.

Casey Sanders, junior education major, has been in the sorority for three years.  Sanders said in the past, KD has hosted a pajama party to get girls involved.  Members of KD said the next event thesorority is considering to attract more potential sisters is a bowling night.