“Girl Code”

The topics of cheating, sexual attraction, dating, friendships and more were discussed when the university’s chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) put a twist on MTV’s “Girl Code,” a popular comedic self-help show for young women.

Hosted in the Heywood Community Center Wednesday, March 5, the social attracted both young women and men.

Chair member Lakin Long, junior, visual arts major, said the NAACP wanted to bring the female population of Francis Marion University (FMU) together because the majority of the campus population is female.

Participants drew names to take turns speaking in a three-person panel per individual question; other members of the gathering were also able to speak.

The panel discussed questions in-depth that the NAACP and audience members had created during the discussion. Audience members were also allowed to add their own opinions when asked by the host.

Both panel participants and audience members had questions that echoed the discussions on the television show.

Like MTV’s “Girl Code,” the NAACP had an array of participants that each gave their differing opinions on the topics. The conversations stirred emotions and prompted reactions.

Many of the attendants, such asAnche Bell, found the discussion and conversation to be interesting and complex. Bell, senior, biology major, said it was good to see guys come and share their viewpoints.

“I like to hear opinions from different guys. It’s nice to see the angle of guys and how they feel,” Bell said.

Terrence Jacobs, senior, biology major, said he attended the event to hear get the female perspective. Jacobs participated in the panel and gave his opinion on various topics.

“It’s interesting to get the varieties of their perspectives on things such as first dates, friends and the opposite sex,” Jacobs said.

This was the first “Girl Code” discussion the NAACP has hosted. Long said he hopes to have another and called the event a success because it gave guys and girls the chance to say impactful things or teach attendants about the opposite sex.

“We will probably have another one in the future, especially if there’s a high demand for one,” Long said.

The NAACP will be hosting more events for the campus. Sexploration, an event that will explore similar topics that were discussed in the “Girl Code” social, is among them.