Senior art majors showcase their talents

Photo by: Austin Kemmerlin

Students, friends, family and faculty packed the gallery of Hyman Fine Arts Center (FAC) on April 1, to cheer on five graduating seniors.

The five seniors chosen to have their final portfolio presentations presented were able to put together a mini collection of their original pieces.  The pieces ranged from paintings that were for sale to advertisement posters and even a mock restaurant.  Viewers were able to meet the artists and discuss the pieces with them during their presentations.

Blair Felkel, senior visual communications major, was one of the students to present six pieces in his collection.  He blended his love of Biology with his love of art to create works with an eco-friendly message.  “I didn’t realize things [the environment] were so bad.  I wanted to use art to send a message,” Felkel said.

Not only did Felkel want to dedicate his presentation to how students can get involved and improve the environment, but he also wanted to share his passion for the arts with everyone in attendance.  “You have to take your work seriously, love what you do and have a deep passion for it.  When it comes to your art, never force anything,” Felkel said.

Adam Dial, senior visual arts major with a painting specialty, presented a six piece collection in which he also blended science and art.  He used a blend of color and line work to create several optical illusions.  Hidden behind a series of colorful illusions was a timeline of the effects of an atomic explosion.  “I wanted to trick the viewer and play off of their emotions,” Dial said.

Dial used his time during the presentation to explain some of the things he has learned while at Francis Marion University (FMU).  “Be prepared to accept failure and don’t make excuses about it.  If you start from scratch or at the bottom, you can only build yourself up,” Dial said.  He also said that the relationship between the professors and students is what separates the FMU art department from all others.

Michael Zedalis, senior visual communications major, spent the majority of his time at FMU specializing in 2D designs.  For his senior project, he wanted to use his knowledge of 2D designs to create a 3D design with an educational message.  He put together a series of pieces that showed how technology and computer programs are used to make simple 2D pictures become a 3D moving object.  “Art, science and technology all complement each other.  Technology makes art more interesting and it isn’t deconstructive,” Zedalis said.

While the majority of the projects presented were traditional artistic conventions, some of the pieces were definitely out-of-the-box.  Brandon Crisp, senior graphic design major, set up a mock restaurant in which he designed menus, glasses, signs and display boards.  “I wanted to make something useful and not just something good to look at,” Crisp said.  “I wanted to apply art to real life uses.”

Crisp believes that clean, concise pieces that are useable are the key to great artwork.  He plans to mix his talent for art with his love of business to open a restaurant.  “Keep it basic and people will show interest,” Crisp said.

The students who presented at the Senior Five-Points Show kept an overall theme of blending art with technology and science.  Each of the collections shown were personal to the artists and expressed their goals for the future.