Pre-veterinary club hosts Humane Society supply drive

Francis Marion University’s (FMU) new pre-vet club will kick off with a supply drive to benefit the Florence Area Humane Society on Oct. 27 – Nov. 7.

The pre-vet club is open to all students interested in veterinary care or animal healthcare.  The supply drive was organized completely by the group’s members to help their four-legged friends.

The Coordinator of the pre-veterinary program and associate professor of Biology, Tamatha Barbeau, created the pre-vet club as a way to unite the growing number of pre-veterinary students at FMU.  The organization focuses on preparing students for veterinary school and community service.

“Veterinary care is all about service,” Barbeau said.  “It’s about helping animals in one way or another and giving a voice to the voiceless.”

The supply drive will consist of six boxes set up in different departments around campus.  Students are able to donate new and used items that will go directly to the Florence Area Humane Society.  Supplies that are needed are: dog food, cat food, cleaning supplies, paper towels, cat litter and toys.  With the cold weather fast approaching, the Florence Area Humane Society is in desperate need of blankets and towels.

The Humane Society needs not only donations but also volunteers. Volunteers are able to clean cages, walk dogs, feed and wash animals and socialize with the pets.

“They need people to socialize with the animals,” Barbeau said.  “Playing with the animals shows them love and helps get them ready for adoption.”

All students wishing to help the Florence Area Humane Society can donate to any of the six boxes around campus or directly to the shelter.  People wishing to volunteer their time to the Humane Society are able to do so by contacting the Humane Society at 843-669-2921.