Iota Phi Theta hosts Tis’ The Season social

Iota Phi Theta hosted a “Tis’ the Season” holiday social Sunday, Nov. 30, in the Heyward Community Center near the Forest Villa apartments.

Iota Phi Theta is a historically African American fraternity. Iota Phi Theta was founded in 1963 in Baltimore, Md., during the height of racial tension in America. 12 male students that attended Morgan State College, now called Morgan State University, created the nation’s fifth largest predominantly African American social service fraternity. Their vision “Building a Tradition, Not Resting Upon One!” created a fraternity whose purpose is the “Development and Perpetuation of Scholarship, Leadership, Citizenship, Fidelity, and Brotherhood among Men.”

This is the first time the Iota Phi Theta fraternity has hosted this type of social event. The president of Iota Phi Theta’s Francis Marion University chapter, Donny Pearis and his fraternity brother Rafael Douglas Jr., were one of the masterminds behind this fun event. Armed with hot chocolate, Christmas cookies and cupcakes, the holiday social event was another way to expose students to different cultures.

“The Tis’ the Season social, is not only a social gathering to blow off some steam before final exams, but also an opportunity to mix and mingle with others and also get some information about how other people celebrate Christmas and other holidays in other countries,” Pearis said.

Not only did students enjoy hot chocolate and an assortment of delicious cupcakes, we were also informed about Christmas and other celebrations from other cultures. For example, the average Christmas dinner in Japan is a KFC family meal.

Another honorable reason behind the holiday social event is to help the students relax.

“We’re hoping that they don’t go to school tomorrow apprehensive or nervous,” Pearis said. “We wanted them to blow off some steam.”

It was easy to see that the Iota Phi Theta’s holiday social event definitely accomplished its goal. All around there were students talking, laughing and joking with one another, enjoying both company and cupcakes.

“We wanted to let the students know, that not only are we here, but we’re here to help them, mentor them and to be another entity on campus for them to be involved with,” Pearis said.

Iota Phi Theta Fraternity hosts many more events, such as interview preparation and interview etiquette classes. Providing information and enlightening students is the main goal for this social service fraternity.