Pick it and stick with it

Reggie+Gay+speaks+to+the+Student+Media+Association+accompanied+by+David+Baxley.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Pick it and stick with it

Reggie Gay speaks to the Student Media Association accompanied by David Baxley.

Photo by: Rian Sanders

Photo by: Rian Sanders

Photo by: Rian Sanders

Kaitlyn Luna, Co-Editor

Reggie Gay, general manager at WJAY Radio, spoke to FMU’s Student Media Association (SMA) on Nov. 1 from 2:15-3:30 p.m. in room 116 of the Academic Computer Center (ACC) about how he became successful in his career as a disk jockey.

The SMA meeting, which was open to all students who have an interest in media communications, opened with a short introduction by David Baxley, assistant professor of mass communication, who gave a brief background on Gay and his career.

Gay has worked in several large market areas, including Atlanta, as a black gospel disk jockey.

“I am a black gospel disk jockey,” Gay said. “It’s where I have hung my hat in my career. I’ve done it for 34 years; it’s where my heart is. I was raised in church, so it’s what I know.”

A Kentucky native, Gay earned his bachelor’s degree in broadcasting communications from Eastern Kentucky University.

“I’m a trained broadcaster,” Gay said. “I know your track, I know what you’re dealing with as a student in mass communications.”

After school, Gay worked in Washington for a short time before returning to Kentucky where he began working in the radio business.

“I worked for about eight years in Lexington, Kentucky,” Gay said. “That’s where I cut my teeth into the business. I did a short stint of secular radio, but I was on the air as another name, so my sister convicted me. She heard me on the air, and my voice had already become recognizable because I had done gospel before that, and she said ‘you know good and well people are going to recognize your voice.’ So I let that R&B thing go.”

Gay’s biggest advice to students entering the mass communications field was something his father told him while he was in school. He said it was the reason he has been successful.

“Pick one thing and stick with it,” Gay said. “One thing. Not two or three things, but one thing and stick with it.”

Gay also offered possible job opportunities to students who were interested in working with him at WJAY Radio.

After discussing how he made his career, Gay opened the floor to questions from the students.

• News

Backpacks to Suitcases

• Pick it and stick with it

Community

The black experience

• Community

FMU celebrates 49th Homecoming

• News

SGA panels discuss students’ concerns

• Pick it and stick with it

Community

Students fail to identify jewel thieves

• Community

Popular artists to visit FMU

• Pick it and stick with it

Community

Parading school spirit

• Pick it and stick with it

Community

Students win with $500 act

• News

FMU does taxes

• Pick it and stick with it

Community

President’s Bowl continues

Pick it and stick with it