Emmy Highlights

At every awards ceremony, it’s what the celebrities wear that either gets heads to turn and
people to talk.  The 65th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards were no different.
Among the best dressed celebrities was Sofia Vergara in a stunning red mermaid gown
by Vera Wang and jewelry from Lorraine Schwartz. Also, Orange Is The New Black co-star
Taylor Schilling showed us that white is definitely the new black while she was rocked retro
curls and a wine red lipstick that made her dress, designed by Thakoon Panichgul, look even
more elegant. In a classic black lace dress by Christian Siriano, Mad Men co-star Christina
Hendricks looked “curvylicious” while Kaley Cuoco, co-star in The Big Bang Theory, dazzled in
a vampy red Vera Wang gown.
Still, out of all of the beautiful dresses that were worn that night, my personal favorite
was Kerry Washington’s.   Who could forget that cream and white floor length Marchesa ball
gown with perfectly placed flower embellishments?  Not me.  Lastly, stepping it up for the men
was Zachary Quinto from American Horror Story.  He looked sexy in a black Givenchy suit
paired with a grey tie that popped against his shirt.
Like always, there were best dressed, and there were badly dressed.  Amongst the worst
was actress Lena Dunham.  The Girls co-star almost made my eyes bleed in her floral-print
Prada gown that did nothing to enhance her shape.  Dunham should also fire her stylist for
butchering her hair.  Who in the world would do that?!  On a more positive note, Dunham’s
makeup artist did a lovely job. The green eye shadow made her brown eyes shine.
Surprisingly, Paula Abdul made some poor fashion choices this year as well.  She looked
like the Emmy Award Statue in a head-to-toe gold look. Her floor length, high necked, long
sleeved dress covered her entirely.  Plus, Vera Farmiga, possibly best known for her role in
The Conjuring, looked like she was attending a funeral rather than the Emmy’s.
Apart from the fashion, there were some unforgettable moments at this year’s Emmys.
The ceremony opened with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler sitting in the audience with popcorn and
3D glasses telling Neil Patrick Harris to “twerk it.”  Later, Diahann Carroll, 78-year-old
singer/actress, joined Kerry Washington on stage to present Bobby Cannavale with the Emmy
award for Outstanding actor in a Drama Series.  Merritt Wever, winner of the Outstanding
Supporting Actress in Comedy award for her role in Nurse Jackie, had the briefest speech ever.
According to CNN, she was not expecting to win, so she didn’t have a speech planned. Wever
was not the only one who expected not to win at the Emmy Awards.  Winner of Lead Actor in a
Drama Series, Jeff Daniels was so surprised that he made his speech with gum still in his mouth.
Michael Douglas, 68-year-old actor, received the award for Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie
for his role in Behind the Candelabra.
Douglas poked fun at co-star Matt Damon and gave a shout out to his wife, Catherine Zeta- Jones.
To end the show, Will Ferrell brought his three kids with him on stage to present the final
two awards. They looked like the “All-American” soccer family.  It was a nice, kid-friendly way
to end the awards.