Letter to the editor: Thoughts on Black History

All words are worthless unless they are followed by action.  That is what made our country special and what defined the Civil Rights Movement.  The energy to make a change to better your life and consequently change the world starts within you.  Yet, it all comes down to your thought process, and as humans, we must realize life is a series of important choices.

I have made some good choices and bad choices, but I have not let my mistakes make me.  I think it is all about how you turn your negatives into positives and those positives into successes.

I had the unexpected privilege of making black history when I was the first African-American to serve in the Governor and Lt. Governor’s offices in S.C. and the first African-American to be a staff member on a GOP presidential campaign in S.C.  I still cannot fathom it, and maybe I never will.  However, I know that if I can make a contribution to society, we all can.  It just takes some determination.

Today, I am appalled by blacks having a higher unemployment rate than whites.  I am astounded that over half of my race commits murders in the U.S. and occupy more jail cells than any other ethnicity.  I am disgusted that a higher proportion of our children are being born into broken homes, poverty and government assistance than any other race.

Today, there are more blacks in the middle class than ever and more black leaders in the public and private sector.  Yet, there remains a myriad of problems that are cancerous to African-Americans being able to be all they can be.  If Dr. King were able to speak today, he may be asking us when we are going to cherish the dream he was killed for?

We have a president who is black, but we are still in a very dark time.  We hear wonderful speeches that show we are grateful for those who came before us.  However, work ethic, college degrees and most of all, Godly principles are what we rely on to motivate us.  Our reliance on faith and optimism will be a key to attaining prosperity in America.