Pembroke Braves scalp Patriots in Riot game

Photo by: ????????????

Photo by: ????????????

Senior Cameron Mabee dribbles the ball down the field past the Pembroke defense on Oct. 26.

Lillian Miller, Sports Writer

The Francis Marion University Men’s Soccer team lost to Peach Belt Conference opponent UNC Pembroke 1-0 during the Riot game on Oct 26.

In the first half, the FMU men kept the ball away from goalkeeper Nick Lucido, ensuring that the Braves did not score.

“In the beginning I didn’t feel good about the game, but as the game progressed, I started to feel more confident in my team and myself,” said Leonardo Chaves, a freshman civil engineering major.

In the second half of the game, the Patriots battled to keep the Braves under control. UNCP scored the first and only goal of the game.

The score was made by freshman forward Adam Smith in the first 5 minutes of the second half in which he kicked the ball just out of reach from Lucido.

FMU tried to answer back, but Goalie Ryan Hanson made sure that any attempt was blocked.

With Hanson keeping a lid on the other goal, FMU knew they had to make sure that UNCP didn’t make another goal. They succeeded and kept the Braves at bay.

“We pushed well late in the second half, but unfortunately the damage was done,” said Logan Fisher, a sophomore business major.

The damage destroyed any chance of FMU hosting another PBC game this year.

In total, FMU made four attempts at the goal and had six fouls throughout the game. UNCP made 10 attempts at the goal and had eight fouls.

There was only one yellow card thrown and that was against FMU’s Adrian Williams.  Williams fouled UNCP’s Sean Hoek and was awarded the yellow card despite Williams protesting that it was a legal tackle.

The Riot games are about bringing in more students to support the athletic program. This game had 105 people in attendance. Freshman early childhood education major Tori Tyner was one student in attendance.

“The game was a new experience because I usually just go to the volleyball games,“ Tyner said.

“I have never been to a soccer game, but I am glad I did. They showed great communication skills and a great team dynamic. What surprised me the most was how they would pass the ball to an empty space and all of a sudden someone (from FMU) was there to recover the ball.”

The UNCP Braves defeated the FMU Patriots with a score of 1-0.

• Pembroke Braves scalp Patriots in Riot game

Sports Spotlight

Meet the Athletes: Janine Gordon

Sports

Patriots bring home pair of wins during tournament

Sports Spotlight

Meet the Athletes: Jonathan Reid

Sports

Coach optimistic about season

Sports Spotlight

Meet the Athletes: Emma Driggers

Sports

Tennis teams take match

Sports

FMU falls to Flagler

Sports Spotlight

Meet the Athletes: Tee Dubose

• Sports

FMU defeats Chowan

• Sports

Patriots sweep Wingate