Patriots to honor seniors at last game

The FMU women’s soccer team will honor their two seniors before the last game of the season on Wednesday Oct. 24.

Seniors Kelly Kady and Rebeccah Hoekstra will take the field at the R. Gerald Griffin athletic complex for the last time in their college careers. Before the game, Kady and Hoekstra will be joined on the field by their parents, where the women’s soccer Head Coach, Frank Pitt will present them with plaques congratulating them on their four seasons with the Patriots. The athletic department will recognize the seniors for their accomplishments at this time.

The senior day game is a long time tradition for the women’s soccer team. The team will celebrate the seniors in the locker room before the game where they will give the seniors keepsakes and gifts in honor of their senior day.

The two seniors said that they are excited for their senior day game, but are sad that their soccer careers at FMU are coming to an end.

Kady is an early childhood education major from Huntingtown, MD. Over the past four years, she has been highly involved around campus. She is a member of the Kappa Delta sorority, leadership FMU, FMU diplomats and the Riot. Kady is also an FMU orientation leader. Kady will graduate in May 2013.

Kady usually plays forward for the Patriots, but has seen time in almost every position on the field this season. She said that the senior day game will be a bittersweet moment for her.

“After playing for 18 years I can’t believe it is finally over,” Kady said. “I have had an amazing time here and wouldn’t change it for the world.”

Hoekstra is a graphic design major. She is a Canadian from Bowmanville, ON. Hoekstra will graduate in May 2014.

Hoekstra is the co-captain of the women’s soccer team this year. She plays as a center defender for the Patriots. She attributed her success on the field to her Canadian soccer coach, Hugh Crumplen. She says that he has been with her from day one and made her the player that she is today.

Hoekstra says the senior day game will be a challenge, but she is looking forward to it.

“It has been an awesome four years here at FMU and I am really going to miss the soccer girls,” Hoekstra said.

The women’s soccer team will take on South Carolina State University in their final game of the season. The game starts at 7 p.m.