Gary scores career-high 35; Pats win big at Homecoming against Young Harris

To some, a 96-53 non-conference win for the Francis Marion University men’s basketball team against Johnson & Wales University on Wednesday, Jan. 30 was just another victory. But for Camden native and junior guard Evrik Gary, it meant history.

Gary, who entered the game with 999 career points, nailed a three-pointer on the third possession of the game to become only the 19th Patriot to reach 1,000 career points and the first since 2004.

Gary’s 16 points allowed him to pass former Patriot legends Daryl Blume (1,011), Nat Williamson (1,004) and Bob Graziano (1,001) to move into 16th place on the FMU career scoring list with 1,015 points.

The business management major was humbled by the experience and said he was simply happy to have had the chance to accomplish one of his many goals.

“I was just thinking before the game that this could be a huge accomplishment,” Gary said.  “After it happened it just made me reflect on what I’ve done so far and what goals I still want to reach.”

Gary will have plenty of time to reach more goals as he sits among the top 20 scorers in Francis Marion University men’s basketball history with another full year of eligibility left. FMU fans hope for even more greatness from Gary as he comes close to wrapping up his junior campaign.