Lady Patriots fall to Clayton State Lakers

Holly Bowman, freshman mid-fielder, maneuvers around the Lakers’ defense. The match against Clayton State brings the Patriots to a 3-4-0 record.

Photo by: Lauren Owens

Photo by: Lauren Owens

Melina Much, Staff Writer

The FMU women’s soccer team dropped their first home conference game on Saturday, Sept. 30, with a 6-0 loss against Clayton State University.

The Clayton State game marks the team’s third Peach Belt Conference (PBC) match of the season. They lost the first two games, as well.

The Patriots matched the Lakers in possession and attacks; however, a Clayton State goal in the 9th minute led to a struggle for the team.

Clayton State scored four goals in the first half of the game and two during the second half.

Head Coach Lindsey Morgan said she put Janine Gordon in as goalkeeper in the 32nd minute to hopefully bring the Patriots some renewed vitality. Gordon was able to equalize the amount of saves the Lakers goalkeeper had, making four out of the five total saves that FMU had.

Morgan said she began the second half in a less usual formation, playing sophomore center-defender Jessica Garnett as forward and having three defenders in the back to increase momentum in their attack. FMU advanced on Clayton State and get a total of seven shots.

Freshman Sarah Moll led the Patriots in number of shots during the game with three, followed by freshmen Kylie McElroy, Dayle McEwen, Imani McGee and Kailey Varney.

Morgan said although the typical morale created by the starters faltered, the players on the bench provided fight and initiative in a way they have not in the past. These players were able to come off the bench and hold their own, Morgan said.

Substitutes for the Patriots included freshman Holly Bowman and junior Camilla Lazowski who each played at least 45 minutes of game time for FMU.

In their next PBC game, against UNC Pembroke, Morgan said she is looking to build on the players that are willing to fight and ready to take on the tough teams in the conference.

Despite the score, Morgan said she remains confident in her team’s drive and ability to make the conference tournament, she said.

• Lady Patriots fall to Clayton State Lakers

Sports Spotlight

Meet the Athletes: Devin Nelson

Sports

Men’s soccer team pushes past Lakers

Sports Spotlight

Meet the Athletes: Janine Gordon

Sports

Patriots bring home pair of wins during tournament

Sports Spotlight

Meet the Athletes: Jonathan Reid

Sports

Coach optimistic about season

Sports Spotlight

Meet the Athletes: Emma Driggers

Sports

Tennis teams take match

Sports

FMU falls to Flagler

Sports Spotlight

Meet the Athletes: Tee Dubose