UPB and Student Life present fair

Back to Article
Back to Article

UPB and Student Life present fair

Photo by: Ashley Burton

Photo by: Ashley Burton

Photo by: Ashley Burton

Junior Dustin James (left) and freshman Preston Harris (right) explain their recruitment process.

Melanie Mitchell, Copy Editor

Just over the peak of a new year, Student Life and the University Programming Board (UPB) teamed up to host a health and student organization fair in the Smith University Commons (UC) on Wednesday, Jan. 30

Assistant Dean of Students and UPB adviser LaTasha D. Brand said this was the first time the health fair and student organization fair were combined.

“This is the second year we’ve done a health fair in the spring semester,” Brand said. “We started organizing this event in the spring for students who were new to campus or missed it in the fall, but this semester UPB and Student Life came together so students could have a health fair and student organization fair at the same time.”

Representatives from the FMU Student Health center including Tracy Aniello, manager of health services, came to the fair to give students information on the range of services available to them.

“We want students to know we are here for them and there is no cost to be seen,” Aniello said.

Several local businesses came to offer students their services. The Florence Family YMCA gym offered a reduced membership fee exclusive to FMU students.

McElveen Body 2 Body, a personal training studio, offered FMU students service bundles at a reduced rate and added a free session to anyone who signed up on the spot. Monica McClary, the Accounting Manager for McElveen Body 2 Body, explained why this business differs to the traditional gym.

“You may have a gym on campus but if you don’t know how to work out properly, you aren’t helping yourself,” McClary said. “We create a plan tailored to you and your weight loss goals.”

Advantage Health and Wellness Center, a chiropractic office, also offered students special rates for their services. To showcase their work, students were able to get a free massage during the fair.

Student organizations that were present included Dance Marathon, sororities and fraternities, the NAACP and GLTBSA.  A newer organization on campus called “The Absolutely Outrageous Club of All Things Nerdy and Awesome”, or T.A.O.C.A.T.N.A , was in attendance and gave students a chance to win a video game console. Habitat for Humanity and Baptist Collegiate Ministries (BCM) were also in attendance.

About the Writer
Melanie Mitchell, Staff Writer

A fairly new addition to The Patriot staff, Melanie Mitchell is a sophomore staff writer majoring in Mass Communication. Born and raised in Sumter, South...

• UPB and Student Life present fair

Student Spotlight

Student Spotlight: Shayna Hunter

• UPB and Student Life present fair

Professor Spotlight

Professor Spotlight: Dillon S. Tatum

• UPB and Student Life present fair

Meet the Athletes

Meet the Athletes: Kate Ellard

• Baseball

FMU Men’s Basketball team starts season with success

• UPB and Student Life present fair

Community

FMU’s Got Talent heads toward the final round

• UPB and Student Life present fair

Community

Son of Holocaust survivors visits FMU

• UPB and Student Life present fair

Community

FMU celebrates the life of MLK Jr.

• UPB and Student Life present fair

News

FMU graduates largest fall class

• UPB and Student Life present fair

Basketball

Meet the Athletes: Brandon Parker

• UPB and Student Life present fair

Student Spotlight

Student Spotlight: Donzell Bailey

UPB and Student Life present fair