Graphic design students win

Seven Francis Marion University (FMU) students recently participated and won awards for their designs at the 2013 ADDY competition for the student local level. The ceremony was held in Myrtle Beach on Saturday, Feb. 16 at Ripley’s Aquarium.

Currently, ADDY Awards is the only artistic awards program directed by the industry’s advertising trade. The Local Student ADDY Awards is the first of a three-tier competition around the country.

Students who won gold awards were Tyler Pate, Kimberly Keith, Marissa McDougal and Jeremy Rivers. Pate, along with Stephanie Moore, Krista Allen and Nickolas Barmore won silver awards. Participants won awards for their design in packaging, poster campaign and branding. Pate won best in show.

Winners of the gold award will compete in the second-tier. At the second-tier, local student winners compete against other gold winners in one of 15 district competitions. Once student winners pass the second-tier, they are forwarded to the third-tier, where the national Student ADDY Awards competition will take place.

Associate Professor of Visual Arts Gregory Fry said the ADDY competition is a great chance for students to see what they can accomplish.

“This was a great opportunity for our students and showcases their talent,” Fry said. “It is a great example of what focus, learning your discipline and hard work can achieve.”

Pate said Fry is an essential part of the Fine Arts Department and he teaches students how to use and apply what they learn in class to outside projects.

“Fry teaches us to create meaning in our designs, to not only create something that looks good but also have meaning and purpose to every aspect of the design,” Pate said. “Thinking outside of the box is what this industry is all about and, that’s exactly what Fry helps us do.”

The ADDY Competition is sponsored by the American Advertising Federation (AAF).