Holden secures career on camera

May 2013 graduate Brooke Holden was hired as a news content specialist and traffic reporter for WMBF News in Myrtle Beach.

Born and raised in Horry County, Holden was hired only a few weeks after her walk across the stage.  Having earned a bachelor’s degree in mass communication, Holden said her love for the field came from spending time with her grandmother when she was a young girl.

“My grandma always watched the news; we watched every newscast together,” Holden said. “I saw the esteem she had for it and how she relied on it.  Because I admire my grandma, I wanted to be a part of that.”

Holden said she began applying for jobs immediately after she graduated and admitted the process was tougher than she expected.  It took three weeks for Holden to receive her first interview, and she later secured a job with WMBF.  Holden explained that the wait was well worth it because she thoroughly enjoys what she does.

“I have the craziest work schedule, waking up at two in the morning and going to bed at six in the evening, but it is not work because I enjoy it,” Holden said.

According to Holden, a production course she took at FMU under the instruction of Professor Maria Lundberg was particularly helpful in preparing her for her current position at WMBF.  Holden said the course taught her time management, shooting, packaging and other invaluable skills.

However, despite course preparation, Holden said she was still not fully prepared for what the job entailed and she learns something new every day.

“Everything is new,” Holden said. “Education is required for a position like this, but experience matters.  There is a certain wisdom and knowledge from experience that you can’t get from college.”

The people she works with, Holden said, have been very beneficial by helping her learn more about the industry.  Their expertise has increased the strength of her credentials since she joined the news team, Holden explained.

“My coworkers are super helpful, friendly and hungry for success,” Holden said. “They know a lot and they want me to succeed as well.”

Holden said her job placement is largely owed to an internship at she had with WMBF while still enrolled at the university.  She said taking on an internship was probably the best decision she ever made and advises all students to secure internships before graduating.

“Don’t just do one; try and do two because it really helps your resume,” Holden said. “Without them, your resume will not even be looked at.  Internships provide you with experience you won’t get at school and gives you a glimpse of the real deal.”

A large part of achieving success, Holden said, is never being afraid to ask questions and taking advantage of any opportunities that present themselves.  She added that this includes doing things that scare and challenge you.

“News is challenging for me because I am a usually more reserved person, but you cannot be in this field of work,” Holden said. “I have to balance my normal demeanor with aggressiveness and assertiveness.  Trying to find that balance can be difficult.”

Holden said that another essential part of being successful is not being too worried about what might not work out.

“Do not worry about what might come; all you can do is try,” Holden said. “Even if it does not work out and you get nothing else, you will have that particular experience to look back on.”