News in Brief: November 30, 2011

Chemistry faculty, students attend regional meeting

Four chemistry faculty and twenty students attended the Southeast Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society (SERMACS) in Richmond, VA from Oct. 26 to Oct. 29. Dr. Allen Clabo (computational chemistry), Dr. Jennifer Kelley (metal-organic structure synthesis) and Al Knowlton (organic ligand synthesis) presented research posters as part of the formal meeting.

Dr. Leroy Peterson’s research students Josh Gibson, Jackie Robinson and Yana Sivolobova presented research posters in inorganic synthesis and Dr. Clabo’s research students Amber Moody and Madeline Reed presented research posters in computational chemistry as part of the undergraduate portion of the meeting.

Ryan Widejko presented a poster on surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy based on his research with Dr. Jeffery Anker at Clemson University as part of Clemson’s Research Experience for Under-graduates program (SC Space Grants, Palmetto Academy).

Bryce Bullard and Hardeep Kaur also presented a poster illustrating activities that the FMU ACS student group has participated in over the last few years that have earned the group Commend-able (2009-2010) and Outstanding Awards (2010-2011) from the national ACS Undergraduate Program.

The students’ research was funded by the National Science Foundation and FMU’s Professional Develop-ment. Funding for the trip was provided by FMU’s Quality Enhancement Plan and Professional Development. The posters can be viewed on the third floor of the Leatherman Science Facility.

Other students were in attendance as part of FMU’s American Chemical Society student group.

Kaesi Boyce receives First Reliance Bank Scholarship

FMU student Kaesi Boyce has been named the recipient of the 2011/2012 First Reliance Bank Scholarship.

The First Reliance Bank Scholarship recognizes and assists outstanding area students who are pursuing a degree in business or finance. Administered through the Francis Marion University Foundation, the scholarship program has been helping area-wide students to meet their academic financial obligations since 2010.

Boyce, a business major, is the second student to be awarded the scholarship.

To be eligible to receive funds from the scholarship program, an applicant must be a business or finance major. To be eligible for the scholarship you must be a First Reliance Bank customer or an immediate family member of a customer, a graduating senior of  Florence Christian School, or a dependent of a First Reliance Bank employee. Students must have an SAT of 1100 and a GPA of 3.5 or higher is required.